MLP: Griffon Kingdoms
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To New Beginnings

3 posters

Go down

To New Beginnings Empty To New Beginnings

Post by Freyia Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:18 pm

((Ulfred Berhton))

December 22, Afternoon

"Aye, this city looks like she's seen better days," the old man said to no creature in particular. The griffon Ulfred stood in the doorway of his new place, looking out at the other buildings in the district and the decrepit skyscrapers on the horizon. He took in a deep breath through his nose, letting every scent of this dirty place fill his lungs. He nods a few times, "She'll do nicely." He reaches behind the wall and pulls out a sign, Blacksmith and begins nailing it to the frame. Its not the most creative name, nor will it get him many customers, but that did not matter to him. Ne need for an excuse for a creature to work.

He returns into his place. It was a nice little building, much nicer than those around it. He had paid some donkeys to fix it up for his arrival, a generous payment too. The living room was set with empty long tables, a few chairs, some shelves, and a desk on the far end. A small fireplace sat in one of the corners, cold, but ready. Behind that was a large area, half inside half outside, with a fence to ensure privacy. There his crucible and forge sat, their chimneys moving up through the tarp above them. Some workbenches, storage boxes, and a grindstone sat on the inside portion. With how much space there was, it still looked cluttered, and he hadn't even got supplied yet. The upstairs area has a nice kitchen area, a soft bed of hay, and a few bookshelves and tables. All his belongings sat in their boxes and bags in the middle, waiting to be unpacked.

He smiled as he began unpacking, first his books, ranging from light fiction to informational, to poetry. He set up a writing desk with his fancy quill and ink set, something he was very proud of. On the wall he mounted a few of his most precious works, including his masterpiece sword, which he polished a bit before mounting it above his bed. He continued next with his tools, bringing them down to the back room and placing them where they should go. This would take some time. 

"At last, a new start. Let's make sure that no one finds out who we are eh," she says while unpacking some of his hammers.

Last edited by Freyia on Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Freyia
Freyia
Trixie
Trixie

Character sheet
Alignment: Loyalist
Profession: Warrior

Back to top Go down

To New Beginnings Empty Re: To New Beginnings

Post by Paradox Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:59 pm

Quantum sighed as he trotted down the alleyway.  Things were not actually much better here in Manehattan than at home despite his hopes.  Over the last few weeks he had been seeking to supplant what money he had saved, but had found nothing but the odd day job.  At least a few of those had even failed to pay at all.  Disappointing but distressingly logical.  In any case, he certainly wasn't getting any richer and the best thing would be an actual, steady job, especially after having been stiffed again that very day. 

He turned onto a somewhat larger street and kicked at a random empty can. It clattered and spun before coming to rest next to a door which was in surprisingly good condition, along with the rest of the building.  A sign there proclaimed plainly and simply: Blacksmith.  He raised an eyebrow at this, it seemed honest if curious, though it made sense.  In these times, many would probably just want to get to the essence of the matter and move on.  He decided to go in; he had nothing else to do and it was a pleasant reminder of Master Faber, the pegasus smith he had worked with for a time. The door opened quietly and there was nopony immediately visible, so he closed it forcefully enough to make a sound and looked around. Whoever's shop it was had obviously just arrived.

Paradox
Fancy Pants
Fancy Pants

Character sheet
Alignment:
Profession:
Back to top Go down

Post by Freyia Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:16 pm

((Ulfred Berhton))

Ulfred heard the bang, almost dropping his doming hammer in surprise. "What the feathers?" he said quietly. He was not expecting anyone in for a while, not like he advertised much. He picked up the hammer and stepped out into the main room. His grey feathers slightly dirty, as was usual, along with his white undercoat. The hammer was still in his hand, "Goo'day to you," he said stepping behind the counter. He was cautious at first, scared that maybe he had been discovered. But seeing it was a pony, his fears went right away. Like any pony would know his name...or what he did.

His voice and body relaxed a little as he continued his greeting, "I be Ulfred, and this be my smith. What can I do you for?" His accent was something of a mix of the north western griffon lands. He looked around, realizing that he hadn't even started with the unpacking of the main room, boxes and bags stacked near the small unlit fireplace. "I'm sorry, he said moving out from behind the desk and to the fire place. "Let me get this darn'd thing lit." He began to fiddle with the coal, wood, and flint.
Freyia
Freyia
Trixie
Trixie

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Paradox Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:34 pm

Quantum looked up from the forge equipment to see the owner of the shop, a griffon. Made sense, he supposed.  After all he hadn't expected a pony to be able to refurbish a building.  It also brought to mind some of the conversations he had had over the time span.  They had led him to reconsider his positions on the griffons, that perhaps there were good and bad griffons just like there were ponies.  He said to the griffon in reply, "not much, I suppose  I just stopped because it reminded me of a mentor of mine, Master Faber, a blacksmith like you, whom I worked with for a time". Noticing that the old griffon was struggling to light a fire, he reached out telekinetically to place the logs in the fireplace and kick start it with the spell he used to use to light the forges.

Paradox
Fancy Pants
Fancy Pants

Character sheet
Alignment:
Profession:
Back to top Go down

Post by Freyia Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:02 pm

((Ulfred Berhton))

Ulfred jumped back a little at the magic, "Ah," he said in his surprise. After seeing the fireplace lit, he gave a chuckle, "still not used to that," he smiled and wiped his hands off on his feathers. "So, you worked in a shop did you?" He moved back to behind the counter. "What'd he have you do?" Ulfred was curious about pony culture. Having travled all around the Kingdoms, Equestria was the last place possible for him to discover and learn about. Pony smithing must be different than griffon smithing, what with their magic and all.
Freyia
Freyia
Trixie
Trixie

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Paradox Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:20 pm

"It was almost a partnership really.  It was his shop and forge, but he mostly could work with metals.  I have training in glassmaking and handled the counter, running the actual shop.  However, he did show me how to make a few tools.  It was interesting because smithing with magic is different.  We can manipulate the metal better and at a finer level than most manual smiths." Quantum said in reply.  "There is also the possibility of enchanted smithing, although that would require that they be both a master smith and enchanter at the same time."

Paradox
Fancy Pants
Fancy Pants

Character sheet
Alignment:
Profession:
Back to top Go down

Post by Tida Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:48 pm

Tida sighed, shifting the bag containing his instrument on his back.  He looked around the area, seeing that in was in much better condition than the eastern residential district, but still slightly damaged.  He hoped that he could find someplace that was in need of assistance, but he saw mostly town houses and duplexes that lined either side of the street.  800 bits... that's a lot of money.  I wish that I had a steady job so that I could get paid constantly.  That would make things much easier, but nothing is ever easy, is it?  It's a good thing that I brought that plant with me when I left, it at least gives me something to eat, though..."  Sighing again, he continued to walk down the street, looking for anything that looked like a business.

After a while of walking down the street, Tida spotted a very nice looking building with a sign that read "Blacksmith".  Walking up to the building, he took a deep breath.  Hopefully, the pony who runs this is in need of assistance.  Even though I don't know anything about blacksmithing, I hope that I could possibly learn from them, or at least help them with other things.  He went up to the door and hesitantly brought his hoof up to it.  Even though he knew that times were tough and ponies would want to hold onto whatever bits that they had, and he didn't want to impose on them, it was worth a shot.  After all, it would be a 100% no answer if he didn't ask, compared to the very slight chance that he would be accepted as a worker if he asked.  He knocked on the door, hoping that somepony was inside.
Tida
Tida
Pie
Pie

Character sheet
Alignment: Neutral
Profession:

Back to top Go down

Post by Freyia Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:36 am

Ulfred eyed the stallion, giving him a thorough looking at, "Uhuh," he said in a noncommittal tone. "Well, I don't know much about magic smithing. Sounds interesting," his voice was more wary than sincere. He of course knew of magic smithing, though he had never seen it. And of course he is a Master level blacksmith, able to make ingots and items of the highest purity. But, for now, letting this unicorn draw his own conclusions he figured was for the best. He didn't move his eyes off the pony, trying to size up what he is after. 

"Is there something you-" a knock at the door cut off his words. "Ah, seems there is another who seeks my wares. And here I thought t'was going to be tough getting costumers. COME IN!" His yell was quite loud, almost shaking the house. He played with the hammer on his main desk, keeping an eye on the unicorn and an eye for the new comer.
Freyia
Freyia
Trixie
Trixie

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Tida Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:26 pm

Upon hearing a loud voice telling him that he could enter, Tida opened the door.  Taking in the scene, he was slightly surprised that a griffon looked as if he was running the shop.  Then again, not all griffons worked for the military, though that was probably only for the lucky ones.  Tida was more surprised that he saw Quantum in here as well, as he remembered the last time that they were both in the presence of a griffon.  I wonder why Quantum is here...  Is he looking for a job too?  Mentally shaking the thoughts away, Tida smiled and greeted Quantum with a small bow of his head.

Turning to the griffon, Tida also greeted him with a small bow of the head.  Clearing his throat, Tida asked "E-Excuse me for being rude, but are you the owner of this blacksmith?  If you are, I-I would like to assist you in any way that I can."
Tida
Tida
Pie
Pie

Character sheet
Profession:

Back to top Go down

Post by Freyia Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:35 am

Ulfred raised an eyebrow at the new pony, looking him over thoroughly. "So, 'u want to work?" Ulfred didn't expect to take on any new apprentices. Honestly, this was going to be the start of his retirement, living out his days giving back to the ponies what he felt guilty for. But, as he usually said, never turn down good work.

"Well, I just bought and renovated the place, still unpackin' me things. What experience you have?" he asked before realizing there was another pony. He held up a claw to signal the stallion to wait. "Let me guess, you're here for work too?" he said to the gray unicorn. Ulfred was pretty wise; the unicorn didn't say he needed anything, helped him light the fire, and started talking about his experience in a smithy. One could only assume that he wasn't here for wares.
Freyia
Freyia
Trixie
Trixie

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Paradox Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:17 am

Quantum scratched the back of his head in a somewhat nervous motion.  "Well, strictly speaking I did not come in here looking for work, like I said, I was thinking of Master Faber.  I am, however, in need of steady work since day jobs just don't pay enough to sustain you for long.  I mean, well, it would be nice if I could get work in, uh, in a familiar field."  He tilted his head in an aside. "Also, hello Tida."

Paradox
Fancy Pants
Fancy Pants

Character sheet
Alignment:
Profession:
Back to top Go down

Post by Tida Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:12 am

Tida returned Quantum's greeting with a hello.  "I don't have any real experience in blacksmithing, though I do have experience in organization of stock..." Tida turned to Ulfred and said, slightly crestfallen.  "But!  I'll be more than willing to learn about it.  I'll work for as long as it takes, even if I have to stay past curfew hours to learn the craft.  Please, give me a chance!"  Tida said with much determination in his voice and eyes.  Tida bowed deeply to Ulfred, not daring to raise his head until he was addressed again.
Tida
Tida
Pie
Pie

Character sheet
Profession:

Back to top Go down

Post by Freyia Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:42 am

Ulfred's brow raised as the pony greeted the other, "Oh, 'u two know each'other. Well, that's good," he let his voice trail at the end as he thought about his options. Luckily for them, thinking out loud was a habit of his. "Well, I just opened, and there probably isn't goin' to be many customers. At least not for a while. On the other'hand, those who turn down good work regret it later." He pauses, giving both ponies a another good look.

"I'll make 'u both a deal," he continued, "but 'u might not like it." The old griffon leaned against the back wall, "I'll let'chu both work, but the pay'll not come immediately," he paused to read their reaction. This was something his mentor told him when he was a hatching. He said anyone can hit iron with a hammer for something, but only those whose soul is truly in it, will do it for nothing. Ulfred didn't want workers, he didn't need that. But students, those every master longs for. And it was the only thing the old griffon longed for.

Last edited by Freyia on Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Freyia
Freyia
Trixie
Trixie

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Paradox Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:52 am

Quantum nods in agreement after only a second.  As much as the change of scenery was good for variety, a familiar element would be rather welcome.  Besides, it would eventually become useful and perhaps profitable.  "Certainly." He replied. "What would you have me do?"

Paradox
Fancy Pants
Fancy Pants

Character sheet
Alignment:
Profession:
Back to top Go down

Post by Tida Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:47 am

Tida raised his head, looking at Ulfred upon hearing him talk to them, keeping his face as neutral as possible.  Even though he said we would get paid later, we would still get paid.  Also, more importantly than getting paid is getting the experience.  You never know when it might come in handy, or if it could make you money itself.  "Thank you for allowing me to work and learn from you!" Tida said to Ulfred, giving him another deep bow.  Standing back up, Tida asked "so what needs to be done?"
Tida
Tida
Pie
Pie

Character sheet
Profession:

Back to top Go down

Post by Freyia Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:05 am

Ulfred laughed a little at the two of them, "Eager now? I like that." He thought for a moment, rubbing the feathers under his beck as he usually did, as evidenced by their rough, grizzled appearance. "Well, right now it be getting late in the day. How 'bout your two come back before first light tomorrow and we'll get started with warming the new furnace and getting the forge ready. I also be need'n supplies, so we'll get those too." He smiled warmly at the two of them. He let the thought slip that maybe this will be a great place after all.
Freyia
Freyia
Trixie
Trixie

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Paradox Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:15 am

"That sounds fine.  See you then and good evening." Quantum replied.  He turned to Tida.  "And good evening to you too.  Smithing may be hard work but it's worth it."  He turned and trotted out the door, where he looked around to make sure he remembered the exact location.  Luckily, it was in an area he knew fairly well, so he would have no trouble returning.

Paradox
Fancy Pants
Fancy Pants

Character sheet
Alignment:
Profession:
Back to top Go down

Post by Tida Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:50 am

Bidding Quantum a good night as he left, he took a moment to look around the shop to get a quick mental map of the place that he would start work in.  Satisfied, Tida bowed slightly to Ulfred and exited the shop.  After exiting the shop, Tida made sure that he knew exactly where the shop was, as he wasn't really familiar with the Western residential district.  He started to make his way back to the apartment that he was staying in in the eastern residential district, so that he could get some sleep.  He wanted to make sure that he could wake up early and make it back to the shop in time to work.
Tida
Tida
Pie
Pie

Character sheet
Profession:

Back to top Go down

Post by Freyia Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:54 pm

Ulfred watched them leave, then gave a small chuckle once they were gone. "This should be interesting," he said as he went back to his task of unpacking. The thought of having apprentices was something that kept a smile on his face for the rest of the evening. He wondered what it would be like to have ponies working for him, and not just with the magic. He had heard about the ingenuity of Earth Ponies. In fact, there was more than one tool or process invented by them that even the Griffons had not improved.

The rest of the task finished with relative ease. He prepared himself a small dinner, and proceeded to read, as was his usual custom. The only difference was that, before going to bed, he made a list of what needed to be done tomorrow:
Clean and warm up the furnace
Prepare tools
Buy materials
Find some creature to buy our stuff
The last note made him chuckle a bit as he laid his head to rest. He would have a good nights sleep, then be up an hour before the dawn, ready to begin crafting.
Freyia
Freyia
Trixie
Trixie

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Paradox Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:34 am

December 23
Early Morning

Quantum yawns as he trots through the darkness of early morning. He was fairly confident that he was on time despite the fact that he was normally a late riser and often slow to get up even when woken.  He paused  as the soft light from his horn illuminated the sign an shook himself to make sure he was as awake as possible before knocking on the door and waiting for the griffon blacksmith.

Paradox
Fancy Pants
Fancy Pants

Character sheet
Alignment:
Profession:
Back to top Go down

Post by Tida Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:54 am

Burning houses and land... even the sky looked as if it had been set on fire by the war itself...

Tida was running away from the advancing darkness as fast as he could.  Some of the other ponies who were trying to run away fell behind and became swallowed up by the darkness while others just gave up hope and waited for the darkness to consume them.  Everywhere Tida looked, he saw death: the bodies of ponies lining the streets, some mutilated beyond recognition, and some burning.  He kept on running, hoping that he could outrun the darkness.

He kept running, but stopped in time to avoid falling off of the path that ended and opened up into a vast void of nothingness as far as the eye could see.  Turning back, he saw the cloud of darkness, still approaching.  As it came closer, Tida could hear the forlorn cries of agony and torment, softly at first, but increasing in volume until it reached deafening levels.  Knowing that there was no escape, he shut his eyes and ears tightly as the darkness consumed him...

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tida woke up in a cold sweat.  Another one of those dreams... it seems that I'll never get over what happened, no matter how hard I try to forget...  Remembering that he needed to be at Ulfred's shop before the sun broke the horizon, Tida gathered his saddlebags, as well as his bag with his instrument inside and slung it over his back.  After making sure that he had his things, he made his way over to Ulfred's shop, slightly tired from the dream that he had.  Upon reaching Ulfred's shop, he saw Quantum already there, knocking on the door.  Walking up to the door and stopping next to Quantum, Tida greeted him with a good morning as he waited for work to begin.
Tida
Tida
Pie
Pie

Character sheet
Profession:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down