MLP: Griffon Kingdoms
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pain Killers (Closed)

Go down

Pain Killers (Closed) Empty Pain Killers (Closed)

Post by Elecsy Redox Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:11 pm

Redox trots down down the street, her hood, as always, covering most of her head. She didn't really have a destination, mostly just looking around at what the city had. Maybe something useful might be found, was the thought that took her from her studies, but all she had found so far was one abandon building after another, after another, after a shop, after a restaurant, after a bar, after another bar, and it didn't look like this pattern was going to end soon. One thing that did catch her attention, was just how many pony owned, or at least appear pony owned, stores and things are here. There are plenty of griffons about true, which she makes every effort to fully avoid, but to see this much pony is a slight relief. Ponies may be cowards, but they are better than griffons.

Redox stops for a moment and looks up. The sun just hit the highest point in the sky. "Damn," she whispers as she turns around. Another bus - a cry out brakes her thought. In the alley next to her, two griffons bully another pony. One seems to be beating him every time he tries to stand up, while the other watches. Redox freezes at this sight. Crap, is the only thought she same up with.

The griffon hitting the pony sees Redox out of the corner of her eye. "What you lookin' at?" he stands up on his hind legs as he says this, and the other follows suit.

A sharp pain shoots through her head and as she winces, the pony and her make eye contact. His eyes full of fear, begging her to help. This proves too much for her, and she turns and walks away.

"That's right, see, no one cares about you..." his words are lost in the city noise as she walks away, almost in tears. There was nothing she could do, nothing she could do. She turns into the first door she can without looking, trying only to get off the streets.

Oddly enough it was right into a dentists office.
Elecsy Redox
Elecsy Redox
Semi-Newb
Semi-Newb

Back to top Go down

Pain Killers (Closed) Empty Re: Pain Killers (Closed)

Post by Guest Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:50 pm

It was a slow day at Ms. Smile's office, a slow day indeed. Even though it was just around opening time, Vibrant was used to more patients showing up for one reason or another than absolutely nobody. Hell, she was one of the last one of her profession in the city, and the most recently trained; if you wanted a degree in any medical profession nowadays, you'd need to export yourself to the Isles. However, even though Vibrant's education was from the Isles, she was Equestrian-born, with some sort of a soft spot for the city, and thus why her practice was just a block off of the main street in Manehatten.

Medicine, however, in Manehatten, proved to be a lucrative business when so few were left around. Dentistry, an even rarer profession, turned out to make big cash with the collapse of insurance, though Vibrant, while having a cold and calculating intelligent side, chose not to charge full pre-war costs, instead opting for a more 'affordable' model of pay rather than two thousand for a relatively simple surgery. Still, she made a lot, and it showed in the decor of her office.

What Ms. Redox came into was her lobby, a waiting area for patients Vibrant couldn't sit immediately. There was a cushioned bench, a cushy couch of sorts, in fine green sitting along one wall, a few chairs in the same color nearby. A fireplace sat in the corner, the fire itself alive and burning. Ms. Smile's degree sat above said fireplace. Along the walls were a few paintings, sparsely placed, depicting different things. One of the smaller ones was of a tooth with a bracket placed upon it; another depicted the Conquest of Strife by the Drekashian Empire, in which Vibrant earned her degree. Another painting depicted an orchid, who's stamen had been painted red, white, blue, and yellow.

Opposite of the entrance sat a desk, and to the right of that, a door; at this desk sat Miss Vibrant Smile, her horn illuminated as those intelligent eyes glared down at a paper she was working on, a pen scribbling away as she worked, with such focus that the entrance of Redox didn't even seem to be noticed by her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Elecsy Redox Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:46 am

Redox closes her eyes and puts a hoof to her temple, trying to stem the migraine. After a few moments she looks up to see where she is. Its an office of some kind, a nice looking office, with decor, couches, and a receptionist at the table, busy at work.

Redox just stands there, unsure about where to proceed next. She takes a step backward, then another, hoping maybe she can escape without being - *bump* - she backs right into an end table. Closing her eyes at her own stupidity, she freezes again, praying that maybe nothing would be noticed. The last thing she wants is an interaction with another living being. Should have stayed home with the books and compounds.
Elecsy Redox
Elecsy Redox
Semi-Newb
Semi-Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:07 pm

Vibrant continued scribbling away at the paper, her eyes intent and focused on the paper, until she heard the characteristic thump of something hitting her end table; she made a mental note to fix its positioning, as she looks up, setting her pen aside and trying to appear at least somewhat friendly for whoever was in the room with her. Eventually, she noticed a unicorn with a tawny coat; she noticed the tension in the unicorn's figure. She decided to speak.

"Hello," she said in a kind, even tone. "Are you here for an appointment? Or are you a walk-in? Either way, we can get to you immediately." Vibrant's eyes seemed to echo her tone behind her glasses, looking concerned and almost saddened at the tense unicorn in the room.

Last edited by Vibrant Smile on Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Elecsy Redox Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:45 pm

Redox opens one her, her face remaining tensed up, "Um, no, I-I think I walked into..." her voice trails off as she sees the picture of a tooth on the wall. Suddenly it hit her, "I-Is this a dentist's office?" This revelation blows Redox's mind; not only is there a dentist office in the middle of a dying city, but it looks like the war hardly touched it. A smile creeps onto her face, a genuine smile, "Say, you don't happen to need anyone to synthesize anesthetics for you, do you?"

See, being a lab technician for most of her adult life, she worked with many pharmaceutical companies, making all the big name brands, and participating in a few of the great breakthroughs before the war. This place looks very well off to her, and that means money, which she is in desperate need of. A lot of the minor compounds, like nitrous oxide and general anesthetics, can be made rather easily. She already has most of the base compounds in her hovel. This may prove to be a productive day after all.
Elecsy Redox
Elecsy Redox
Semi-Newb
Semi-Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:36 pm

Vibrant nods, noting the mare's constantly changing emotions. "... Indeed I do," she stated simply. Most of the pharmacological compounds she had currently stocked were mostly imports from the Isles of Strife or some far off country in the Eastern Continent; they were truly sub-par to Equestrian-made compounds. While other nations were bettering their technology, Equestria was really producing the best medicine around, save for the Zebra lands. Of course, this production all came to a grinding halt with the invasion, leading many to either have to rely on local producers or import, and, while imports were basically the same compound, they just didn't have that Equestrian touch to it, and, for some reason, they were weaker.

Another thing about imports was the expense; while Vibrant was well-off due to her parents being Count and Countess of the island of Enkai, the expense of importing drugs often left her with supplies capable of running just two or three surgeries before she had to restock, and, with the Griffons being the port authority, importing was harder than ever due to stringent policy and the fact that, well, drugs were being imported. If there's one thing that everyone hates to import, it's drugs.

Finally, we get to Vibrant speaking again: "If anything, I'd be willing to pay you for the anesthetics, but I think it would be more advantageous to simply just hire you. I would much prefer to do so, as I'm short on staff anyway, and dosing was always something hard for me to do. Plus, I need more staff skilled in something other than medicine," she stated simply, noting that the mare before her was somewhat keener in a business sense. "Though, these need to be quality anesthetics, not like illicit drug cookout sort of anesthetics."

Back to top Go down

Post by Elecsy Redox Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:05 am

Redox takes the mares words and thinks them over for a few moments. A job, something that she hasn't had for a long while, and oddly enough kind of missed. Her compounds, while made in a back alley fashion, were pure and quality products. However, the real good stuff, that's something that she didn't have the means for. Perhaps this job would be worth it, for the right price. There is something odd about this though; this mare seemed to offer this job a little too quick. Perhaps she is hiring and has been dealing with applicants all morning. Or maybe, her magic is in insight, something Redox has always wished to study.

In either case, it's best to go along. "Hmm, a job eh? Well I guarantee you what I make is better than anything you've got. The problem is, I don't have a real lab set up to make anything more than the general anesthetics. However, if you have access to the proper facilities, I could make you anything you wanted." She manages a nice smile. The labs she used to work in always had at least 10 others coming and going, dealing with a few "dentists" shouldn't be an issue. "If you wish to know my credentials, I was a student at Canterlot university studying chemical compounds for various medical and technological uses. Once the war happened I was promoted to senior lab technician under the Research and Development department of the Equestian military. I have worked with thousands of compounds and I am certified to run almost any lab equipment." Redox always loves to brag about her "credentials".
Elecsy Redox
Elecsy Redox
Semi-Newb
Semi-Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:14 am

Vibrant continues to stare down the mare, scanning her form up and down for any signals of her lying, and, from her rather aplomb tone, she concluded the mare was indeed truthful in her words. "The equipment you have now should suffice," she stated simply, frowning slightly. "So long as the results don't end up being impure and causing reactions similar to some of the cheaper alternatives to heroin." A dark yet relaxed tone had taken hold of her voice, yet, her posture remained; she was intensely straight, her form rigid and immobile, save for the occasional rise and fall of her torso as she inhaled and exhaled. The prim and proper mare continued to regard the odd mare before her, with a thoughtful frown. "Though, while you're here, I can't help but wish to offer you my services," she stated with that same even tone from before, her face relaxing a bit as she slipped into that business-like smile of her's.

Back to top Go down

Post by Elecsy Redox Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:35 am

Redox can sense some tension in the air, an odd thing. This mare is definitely up tight, but there was still the job offer on the table. So, she ignores the awkwardness, "If you say so. I can make up a batch and bring it over tomorrow. Do you have a means to test quality?" This is Redox's test, a question to see just how much an employer or college knows. This one seems a little too easy for her usual questions, but she doesn't want to ruin her chances at finally earning some bits. If she could start making money, she might be able to afford simple lab equipment.

She also completely missed the question the mare posed, her mind too filled with her own thoughts to make room for anyone else.
Elecsy Redox
Elecsy Redox
Semi-Newb
Semi-Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:43 am

"Well," the prim-and-proper unicorn started whilst the rest of her body fell into a business-like posture. "I do indeed have employees, myself, and you to test said quality, though I'm capable of many-a separation procedures and should be able to test the purity of the compound in that way. As far as quality, well, I'm unsure of that; in order to see the effects of a drug, I need to literally use it, so someone needs to take a risk there. But, if you're as qualified as you claim to be, I don't anticipate a need for tests for side-effects," she stated, keeping her business-like tone whilst her eyes began to scrutinize the mare before her, looking for any flaws in her character through her body language. "Still, I do wish to provide service to you, if possible."

Back to top Go down

Post by Elecsy Redox Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:16 am

Redox nods, seeing that she is being looked over. "Well, I don't think I'll need any dental assistance," (A lie but one she hopped to remain hidden), "But I can bring over some general anesthetics tomorrow morning. I imagine things like nitrous oxide, benzocaine, midazolam, and ketamine are what you need?"

Redox, while brilliant sure, always seems to bite off more than she can chew. To make one or two of the compounds in a day is possible, and if she had her magic she could make all four easy. But without the proper tools and equipment, and with no magic, Redox just screwed herself. Still she keeps a straight face, unflinching in her over commitment. If she doesn't sleep, and makes two compounds at the same time, this might work. Her "kitchen" is just large enough to accommodate two synthesis at the same time.

"Also, do you employ any other scientists?" she asks, hoping for the first time that there was another she could "talk shop" with. Never did she imagine she'd be wishing for something like that in her lifetime.
Elecsy Redox
Elecsy Redox
Semi-Newb
Semi-Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:30 am

Vibrant simply offered her best business-like smile toward Redox, that forced happiness with a touch of sincerity behind it; it was true, but not entirely. Despite all of her best efforts, all of her scrutinizing could not pick up on Redox's lie, but Vibrant was persistent, considering that the majority of Manehattenites have stopped receiving medical assistance, so it would only be logical to assume the mare before her has stopped as well. As the mare kept asking questions, Vibrant continued to smile. "Well, I have a minor in pharmacology, so if you were to presume me a 'scientist,' then I suppose I could be one, or closest to one," she stated whilst maintaining her poise and tone of voice. "Still, I'm no expert, yet I work with the compounds daily in my practice. Curiosity has led me to know the intricacies of some, but not all, and, with regard to the compounds you've listed, all of them would be very useful, yes."

Back to top Go down

Post by Elecsy Redox Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:05 pm

"Alrighty," she says, looking toward the floor in thought. How she is going to get all this done, she did not know yet. She'd have to get back the hovel now. "Yes, yes I should be able to bring a sample of those chemicals, then you can test them to ensure quality, then we can make an arrangement," she mumbles not really talking to anyone in particular. Her eyes twitch and scan the floor as if reading something that isn't there; her mind a cavalcade of ideas, formulas, and procedures, trying to time everything perfectly. "Yes...yes that should work," again not really speaking to anyone. 

Finally she looks up and nods, beginning to turn towards the door.
Elecsy Redox
Elecsy Redox
Semi-Newb
Semi-Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:16 pm

"Wait," Vibrant stated with a slight amount of force, though a caring force. "Are you sure you wouldn't like to at least be examined by me? I'm sure it's been ages since you've last seen a dentist, and I can alleviate your pain through treatment if you have any issues," Vibrant said, her tone caring and business-like, as if she were exerting a motherly force yet trying to sell a product to a customer in the same instant. Vibrant really did wish to provide care to this mare, in fact, she wished to provide care to anyone who came through her doors; the fact that this mare was making her more compounds compounded Vibrant's wants, giving her the urge that she owed the mare something more than money.

Back to top Go down

Post by Elecsy Redox Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:27 pm

Redox shakes her head, the force of the voice being enough to pull her into reality. "Oh, um..." she turns back and looks around one more time. She does have a tooth ace, one that's been getting progressively worse, but if she were to be examined...that wasn't an option. "Not, uh, not today. I've a lot of work to do now. But maybe some other time. I mean, if we make this deal, I'm sure we will be seeing more of each other." While this is all said with a slight up beat tone, the words just don't seem very genuine. But at least she is trying.

"I will be back around this time tomorrow with your samples," she says with a forced smile. "Till then," she nods and leaves, quickly before the dentist could interject again. Once out the door, she turns to run towards her hovel, before remembering...

She carefully steps over to the ally...

Nothing. No pony or griffons, nothing left. She sighs, maybe it all worked out. This lie not really helping the feeling in her heart, the guilt of leaving one to their fate.

She shakes her head,  I don't have time for this. And with that she makes her way to the hovel.
Elecsy Redox
Elecsy Redox
Semi-Newb
Semi-Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:35 pm

Vibrant frowned at the mare's sudden escape. As she quickly exited, Vibrant sat down and went back to work, noting that she was to receive test compounds tomorrow; as she continued to work, she worked into closing time, and closed down. The rest of the day contained nothing noteworthy as she ate and slept, and woke up, and ate, and did her whole morning routine, and went back to work; it was slightly busier that day, but by the time Redox was supposed to come over, Vibrant had only one patient, which she was just finishing up work on. A receptionist, with white coat, green and pink mane, and small red glasses, sat at the front desk instead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Elecsy Redox Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:47 pm

Redox had finished the last compound C22H28N2O, fentanyl right at noon. It was a miracle. With no sleep and a bit of brilliance (and maybe a few shortcuts) she made her quota. Despite the stress and lack of sleep, Redox found this fun. She missed the old deadlines and the all nighters, trying to get the quota done before shipping day. This was a nice escape from her usual, depressing life.

Now she runs, cart attached, to the office. Barring any interruptions from griffons, she should be able to make it just a few minutes late. The chemicals sat in the cart neatly padded and insulated. She had covered it in her own blanket, the only one she had. The thing looks like its been more than a few years without a wash, but Redox needed something fast. If this worked, she would have a job, and a means by which to fulfill her goals.

She arrives in front of the dentists's office and takes a few moments to catch her breath. Removing the blanket and tossing it to the side, she inspects the packaging and the chemicals inside. Everything seems fine. With another few deep breaths she makes her way into the office, cart first.
Elecsy Redox
Elecsy Redox
Semi-Newb
Semi-Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:51 pm

The receptionist at the desk looked up at the entering cart, and the mare that followed, confused at best, but then she looked down at all of the notes she was left by Vibrant; yes, indeed, this was the mare coming with the compounds for Vibrant's practice. Still, to make sure, the receptionist piped up at the now-entering mare. "Excuse me, ma'am," she said in a tone that was sweet and caring at the same time, "would you happen to be the mare Dr. Vibrant commissioned for the compounds yesterday? Dr. Vibrant is currently with a patient, so she should be able to get to you quickly," she stated, moving into another sentence without room for retort. "Dr. Vibrant also told me to ask you if you wanted an examination today, since we give one free to new patients." It was becoming increasingly clear that Vibrant had other motives than simply hiring the mare; she wanted her to be a customer as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Elecsy Redox Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:09 pm

"We'll see...lets do the business first," she says with a slight annoyance and a hint of exhaustion. This constant assertion that she is to be a patient is getting on her nerves. Still, she keeps her calm, partly so that a good deal can be made, and partly because she is too tired too make a fuss out of it.

The chair by the door made a good spot to sit while she waits, moving her cart to the side so it is out of the way. She pulls out her notebook and begins going over some of her notes, on other things like how concentration of specific amino acids may be liked to magical ability. She studies patiently while waiting.
Elecsy Redox
Elecsy Redox
Semi-Newb
Semi-Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:23 pm

It took about fifteen minutes for a griffon to first emerge from the back, followed by Vibrant five minutes later. Vibrant, oddly enough, looked like a mess, yet still maintained that intelligent gleam in her eye; thus, she looked as if she were a mad scientist. Still, she remained in her scrubs, but had eschewed the other medical garb except for her glasses, which were prescription. She regarded the mare from yesterday with a slight sigh, going toward the cart that she had brought in. "So this is the stuff, huh?" She was wondering out loud, of course, taking the various samples from within the cart and holding them in her telekinesis. "It shouldn't take me long to analyze these, so if you'll give me the benefit of a few more minutes..." She trailed off, heading through that door again and off elsewhere, remaining elsewhere for an extended period of time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Elecsy Redox Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:07 am

Redox nods in response to her words and pretends to go back to reading. Even though she does her best, a heavy sigh finds its way out of her. She misses magic, the ease of moving objects, handling chemicals, speeding reactions. If she had her magic, these samples would have only taken a few hours rather than a whole day. "Someday," she whispers inaudibly, not realizing it. The receptionist didn't seem to notice, or if she did she wasn't showing it. Redox puts a hoof on her hood, ensuring that it still covers the scar. The last thing she wanted was to have that discussion with a future employer.
Elecsy Redox
Elecsy Redox
Semi-Newb
Semi-Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:13 pm

Vibrant came back about an hour later, without the samples. She gave Redox a frown, followed by a smile. "They're all, for the most part, pure, and the impurities are easily removed," she stated without much emotion at all, excluding some approbation for Redox. Of course, she had made a high-quality product; the only problem was Vibrant obtaining a large quantity of her work, now, though that would come later. "Now, by 'hire,' I simply wish to provide you with space and equipment that I can supervise, so that I know you're making the best quality substances. You can take commission from anyone, excluding anyone attempting to get intoxicated from the substances you create," Vibrant said simply. "Now, why don't we go somewhere more private so that we may discuss the finer details of your employment- that is, if you wish to be employed."

Back to top Go down

Post by Elecsy Redox Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:48 pm

A contract is what I would prefer, she thinks internally. "Yes that is fine," she smiles and lies. Placing her notebook back in the bag, she follows the mare. Redox didn't like that the mare used "mostly pure" to describe her work. Probably a tactic to undercut, which she would have no part of. Mentally she prepares for battle, while externally she remains polite, for the most part.

Although even if she is undercut, the prospect of having equipment is too great to ever pass up. Finally, she could have the means to fulfill her goals, the number one important thing in her life. It would be even better if she were in charge of it too.

Redox pauses right before entering a room, only for a moment. Damn! I was so busy making the compounds, I don't know anything about the competitive salaries, pricing, or other qualified ponies living here. She takes a small breath to calm herself down, It'll be okay, just skirt around the topics, make her reveal these things.

"So how many others have you had come in and offer their expertise?"
Elecsy Redox
Elecsy Redox
Semi-Newb
Semi-Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:13 pm

As Redox enters the room, Vibrant sits at a desk, and a few things become apparent; from the well-worked jade vase sitting in a display case along with an inert magitech engine, to a heroic painting depicting a dragon in full magitech armor, it seemed Vibrant had a lot of spending money. In fact, this was not far from the truth; being a doctor and owning one's own property makes for great money. It also didn't help that the majority of the items in Vibrant's office came from the estate she received from her parents upon graduating from college, but that's aside from the point. The real point was the fact that Vibrant was a very rich mare.

Vibrant, still in her scrubs, sitting at a rather fine desk, gestured for a seat across from her for Redox to sit in; it was a fine, high-backed leather chair, and a comfortable one, too. "I haven't had anyone else come to me with drugs as good as your's are, so, if you're worried about losing your job, don't. You're one of the few ponies in this city who are capable of synthesizing nearly pure compounds for medical use. The compounds I need are specialized, so, not like what the hospital has, so I've needed to import them all this time. You have proven that you're not only capable of synthesizing these compounds, but making incredibly pure batches of them. You are an incredibly valuable asset, and as far as I'm concerned, I want you."

Back to top Go down

Post by Elecsy Redox Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:27 am

'Asset'...this word lingers in Redox's mind. That's all she ever is, an 'invaluable asset'. This didn't bother her as much as it maybe should have. If she gets what she wants, then who cares? The added 'importance' is just a bonus. Still, something didn't sit right in her, like a bad lingering taste. She shakes her head slightly to get rid of it. "Good," she responds, nodding her head.

The look of the room revealed that this mare is either the best doctor in the city or spoiled. Her gut told her the latter. Yet if there is bits to be had and a lab to be worked in, who cares? "Alright, let's discuss the terms of this arrangement. I require a lab, one stocked with equipment I say. I'd need to be in charge of it, as far as anyone who would be working there too. And I'll need freedom so long as I meet the annual quota." She makes these demands with a straight face, keeping her voice steady. Honestly if she got paid a janitor's salary she wouldn't care, the real payment would be a good lab. However, best to save that part till she needs it. Bits are nice after all.
Elecsy Redox
Elecsy Redox
Semi-Newb
Semi-Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down